Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Trust the pattern, believe in the pattern....

I want to make jaywalker socks. Really. I have the lovely hydrangea yarn all ready to go. I've cast on 76 stitches with my size one addis. Let's review the math:

Jaywalker Gauge = 7.75 spi
My Gauge = 7 spi

The size large (which I would need) has you cast on 84 stitches. My gauge ratio is right about 90%. So I should cast on 75.6 stitches to get a large sock with my gauge. I understand the math.

I've never made a sock and cast on so many freaking stitches. Now, I understand that the pattern is snug/pulls in, etc. But in my head this would make the ribbing incredibly huge. Of course the making waves socks did the same pull in thing. And the ribbing was fine. I cast on 64 stitches in sport weight on addi twos (3mm) and they fit just fine. So this should work.

I guess I have to just suck it up, trust the pattern, and get some of the actual leg portion done to see what will really happen. I've just wasted a lot of time futzing with these socks already. Grrrr....

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Trust in the power of the pattern, young Jaywalker... Heehee, I couldn't resist. :)